Wednesday, May 07, 2008

When Bodies Become War Zones



I have recently been reading Danielle Topins blog which is very interesting. Her latest entry about violence, poverty and the use of womens bodies as a target is very interesting. She writes about Jamaica BUT this is applicable anywhere. Here is the first paragraph of her entry around this issue.


"During a recent walk through a secluded road in my neighborhood, I came face to face with the discomfort of unwanted desire. I was in a zone: in my own world, feeling confident and self-assured. As I walked, however, I became aware that I was attracting male attention, and an interesting thing happened. The more attention I received, the more uncomfortable I became; and at some point I became aware that I had noticeably slowed the pace of my walk, and quieted the skip in my step. I was trying to make myself less visible, in order to detract the male attention I was receiving. I also became aware of a feeling of fear...fear that someone would seize me and try to forcefully kill my jauntiness. I felt fearful of being raped. "
This is an issue that all of us need to combat and denounce at all times. Does anyone have examples of working with young people around this issue that has been successful????
Lud

No comments:

Post a Comment