Monday, August 25, 2008

ETHICS


Hello everyone: Its been a long time since I posted and I apologise:

However I have been doing some things that I would like to blog about.

I attended the 'Its Time: Creating a future free from violence - men's responsibilities' forum last Friday the 22nd August. One thing that really struck me was a key note speaker who spoke about the Ethics in delivering services - not in terms of 'what are my ethics?' but in terms of 'what are the ethics of this person that they are showing them to society in this particular way?' For instance: Is a man being violent because he has an ethic of 'an eye for an eye' or because he has an ethic that 'power shouldn't be taken from people therefore I will take it back".


I might not be very clear to you about this but what it gave me was a way to find 'goodness' to work on with people BEFORE I decide on thier fate. Maybe we DO have similar ethics but dont display them in the same way. Maybe discovering a persons ethics (not thier behaviour) is a way to start sometimes.


What got me started on ETHICS was some research into ETHICS for a lecture that I had to deliver: The main thing that I found out for myself was: ( and this can be described by some formal terminology -go here at the Galilean Library - it is a really easy to read intro to ethics)

The main thing I have been rethinking though is this:
Metaethics: where do my ethical notions come from and what they mean? What do I think is good?
Normative ethics: What principles tell me my moral behaviour —and what does not.
Applied ethics: How do I apply these in a dilemma of moral dimension.

Believe it or not these simple questions along with attending the forum have got me rethinking many things.

If you want to hear a cool podcast on 'Is killing wrong" ( go here - to the BBC Open U ethics bites podcast.

Also if you want to be part of discussing ethical dilemmas in youth work go here to the Youth Action and Policy NSW website - youth work ethics blog. IT IS GREAT

2 comments:

  1. Far out Lud - sounds like a worthwhile day of training for you. Thanks for your insight into it, I will have to have a look at your recommended links. SO do you think it's a bit about stepping into the shoes of a violent man? Trying to tease out where he's coming from? Is it going to be a more efective way of not being judgemental - it seems so. It seems like a good way to NOT make assumptions about their behaviour. I like it, it seems like a very empowering way of working with violent men.
    Thanks Lud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you pretty much have it spot on.
    Where do our ethics meet? What is it that makes your behaviour different even tho we have the same ethics.
    Soo cool - I am blown away and am developing my own ethics framework to help guide me.
    Its like ethics 101 but applied and personal

    ReplyDelete