Monday, April 30, 2012

Sexual health words may get in the way

Have you ever tried to find the right (correct/scientific/appropriate) word in your discussions about sexuality but either haven't  known the correct word? or...... Someone has used a word and you wonder what the heck they are talking about. Well.... I certainly have. When I was completing my masters in Sexual Health there were many a late night sitting up doing an assignment with a medical dictionary balanced on my knee while I tried to decipher one of the many many readings.

There have been quite a few times in my working life when I have also USED the 'correct' word only to be given a blank stare in return. For instance I remember talking to a group of young women about dysmenorrhea, and how common this is with young women. The poor women looked at me like I had just told them thier heads would fall off.

If you don't know 'dysmenorrhea' is the pain or discomfort experienced just before or during a menstrual period. What I should have said was something like " Do any of you ever have pain just before your period? This is quite common and many young women say this happens" Instead I added to the pathologising of sexual health instead of the de mystifying of sexual health.

Anyway if you click here you will find a great glossary of gynecological terms: Gynoecology being the medical practice of dealing with the health of  the female reproductive systems.


1 comment:

  1. Talking about sexual health matters has long been a sensitive issue on both women and men. But no matter how sensitive this issue might be, it has to be acted upon in the earliest possible time.

    ReplyDelete