Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Some of my thoughts.

As a person who works in Sexual Health and is a sexologist I want to share a few things with you.

 1. I don't find it funny when people joke about my work such as " (smutty laugh) So... do you teach practical" This is offensive and indicates the persons ignorance of the range of relationships and sexual health education that is often more important than 'sex' itself.

 2. I sometimes get discouraged when I continue to hear stories of sexual violence and sexual abuse perpetrated by men. Yet.... it is this continuous bombardment of stories that also motivate me to get out there and do something about it. If you are a man and want to do something to stop mens violence DO SOMETHING. A good way to start is joining in on this years 'White Ribbon Day' activities. Go here to see what is happening near you.

3. Young people that are struggling, young people that live on the streets, young people that live every day under conditions that many in our society BLAME them for ARE HERO'S. Anybody that can survive, and learn to thrive; anybody that can survive - and then suddenly can't; any young person that lives today under stressors and pressures that I can't really get a hold on - Are hero's and should be treated as such.

4. You can't tell by looking at someone if they are gay - and WHO CARES?? Stop joining in the culture of homophobia. You don't need to say 'my gay' friends. If they are your friends then that is enough of a discriptor.

5. Condoms are the best protection against STIs. But..... people often say they dont like them or want to use them. So why isn't there a better substitute. ( Don't ask me what it is - I'm just writing thoughts).

6. I once heard a speaker talk about ways to lessen the incidence of youth violence, youth suicide, youth anti social activities. This guy said " If each adult in this town learned the name of 6 young people ( outside of thier family) and spoke to these young people by name every time they saw them then the incidence of antisocial behaviour would decline. This would work better than any programme ( anti bullying, anger management, etcetc).Do you know the names of 6 young people that you see about  your neighbourhood?
 Do you say high to them? Engage with them.


7. Being sex positive is better than being sex negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment