Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What is an Orgasm

I was asked recently by a teenager " What is an Orgasm"

Even as a sexologist this stumped me a bit... I thought well.... do I describe the sexual response cycle; if so which one should I describe? Should I describe what happens in the body and genitals, do I describe what happens with the release of dopamine, do I describe the neurophysioloogy of orgasm, do I describe the emotional state and build up/release of tension, ejaculation, vaso constriction, ejaculation, transudation - or do I embark on a cultural sociological discourse of orgasm from an anthopological perspective etc etc etc?

As an example: I could say something like this......

All of the genitalia contain a huge number of nerve endings (the clitoris alone has more than 8,000 of them), which are, in turn, connected to large nerves that run up through the body to the spinal cord. (The exception is the vagus nerve, which bypasses the spinal cord.) They perform many other functions in the body in addition to providing the nerve supply, and therefore feedback to the brain, during sexual stimulation. Here are the nerves and their corresponding genital areas

· hypogastric nerve - transmits from the uterus and the cervix in women and from the prostate in men

· pelvic nerve - transmits from the vagina and cervix in women and from the rectum in both sexes

· pudendal nerve - transmits from the clitoris in women and from the scrotum and penis in men

· vagus nerve - transmits from the cervix, uterus and vagina


The role of the vagus nerve in orgasms is a new discovery and there's still much that's unknown about it; until recently, researchers didn't know that it passed through the pelvic region at all.

So.....What would YOU say if somebody asked you???????

No comments:

Post a Comment