Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Damage

Thanks to feministing.com for this entry

The violence so dominant in this society could find any number of apologists if personal willpower and motivation alone would undo the damage done. Someone could say, for example, The battered girlfriend can always heal herself psychologically with enough exertion and devotion to getting better. They might point to the ways in which physical therapy can do wonders for people with physical injuries, implying that mental therapy can and will accomplish the same. However, this is a fatuous comparison that insists a victim ought to be the sole person who is obligated to pick up the pieces. In this scenario, not only should this not have to be her responsibility, sometimes violence is so destructive that one never fully recovers from it.

Go here to read more

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:45 PM

    Hi Lud,
    Chris Martin here. How are you? I'm good, working for City of Onkaparinga now as a CDO, really enjoying it. Hey on the subject of violence, I have just started being involved with the Onkaparinga Colloabortive Approach to the prevention of Domestic and Ingigenous Family Violence. The group is has been talking recently about resources "out there" relating to busting myths on vilence towards women. I'm trying to track doen those great postcards that I have seen around - several in the series, each focussing on a myth each? I'm sure they used to be on the Shine SA website??? Any ideas on where I can find them? Talk soon! I hope life in the cold, wet country is going well for you!
    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you. I love gettinbg the updates of you and your family.
    I reckon those postcards are the mythbusters series that SHine had.
    Try contacting SHine resource centre. Ask for Sharon. Other wise I may have some spares

    ReplyDelete