Monday, August 27, 2007

Female circumsision clitoris reconstruction?

One of the issues that comes up in the courses that I teach is female circumsision, what it is and what it means.
Here is an interesting article (copied from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/80406.php) that you may be interested in.

About 100 women in Burkina Faso have had surgery to reconstruct the clitoris and restore some sexual sensation lost from female genital cutting since the country last year became the first in Africa to offer the procedure, Michel Akotionga -- head gynecologist at the main public hospital in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso -- recently said, Reuters reports. According to Reuters, as many as three-quarters of women in Burkina Faso have undergone genital cutting (Schwarz, Reuters, 8/21). Female genital cutting -- sometimes referred to as female circumcision or female genital mutilation -- is a practice in which there is a partial or full removal of the labia, clitoris or both. About 6,000 girls undergo the practice daily worldwide, and the World Health Organization estimates that 100 million to 140 million women worldwide are circumcised. At least 90% of women who undergo genital cutting live in developing countries -- such as Djibouti, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Somalia and Sudan -- while almost no women undergo the practice in Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia, according to UNICEF (Kaiser Daily Women's Health Policy Report, 8/10).The reconstructive surgery costs about $150 in public hospitals and as much as $400 in private clinics in Burkina Faso. According to Reuters, the surgery is possible because most of a woman's clitoris is embedded within the body, and usually only the few external centimeters are removed, which allows a physician to reattach some of the embedded part. For the surgery, doctors "open the skin around the remaining clitoris, dissect it and pull it toward the exterior end to fix it at the skin with stitches," Akotionga said, adding, "The remaining part of the clitoris is ... enervated, which is to say it has nerves, but it doesn't play exactly the same role as in a woman who was never excised." Alice Behrendt of Plan International said she is concerned that some families might try to re-excise women who have the reconstructive surgery. "Already there are cases where the parents or grandparents think the excision was not done fully enough, that the girl is not yet pure, and they insist on her doing it again," Behrendt said. Benjamine Doamba, a campaigner against female genital cutting in the country, said, "I support science that permits such medical advances, but for me it is essential to stop the practice altogether so there is no need to repair anything later" (Reuters, 8/21). "Reprinted with permission from http://www.kaisernetwork.org/. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report, search the archives, or sign up for email delivery at http://www.kaisernetwork.org/dailyreports/healthpolicy. The Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report is published for kaisernetwork.org, a free service of The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation . © 2005 Advisory Board Company and Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:59 PM

    wow - I think I will start looking into this more. I work with young newly arrived women from various places including Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:14 AM

    is this for real? cuz i am unfortunately a victim of female circumsion and i been trying to research if it is possible to have a clitoris reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is for real but..... and it would be worth looking into in great detail first.
    For instance anecdotaly many women that have had female circumcision also report satisfying sex lives with orgasm.
    The erectile tissue of the clitoris is really big and covers much more than the head of the clitoris that can be seen.
    It would also depend on which type of circumsision a person has had and many other factors. for example - is a person interested in reconstruction to 'look' 'normal' in a western sense. Is the reconstruction to help in some health related way.

    This article was the first I had heard of clitoris reconstruction. I am happy to help you research more if you want.
    Lud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:16 AM

    My fiancee was circumcised when she was just a few months old. Good to know that this procedure is available. Are there any substantiated reports on the effectiveness? Does it actually improve sexual sensation and pleasure or would it only just bring back traumatic memories (in those who were old enough to know) of the terrible act that brought them to the operating table in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO much depends on the person involved: "Substantiated reports" that is also hard to discover.
    In terms of sexual pleasure the operation wont improve sexual pleasure ( if you mean clitoral stimulation) However it might make the person feel better about themselves ( or might not).
    If you are interested in clitoral sexual pleasure it might be woth looking into books or resources about the clitoris. The clitoris is actually very big and extends internally much farther than you might expect. So even after female circumcision where the tip of the clitoris is removed there is the majority of the erectile tissue still intact.
    There is anecdotal evidence of women that have had female circumcision still reaching orgasm. Much of this depends on the person and hhow they perceive themselves, thier culture etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:38 AM

    I am an African woman in Canada and I did the reconstruction surgery at Trinidad Co USA last week. I am in pain but I hope by next week all will be well. 6 of us from Somalia, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Ghana had the operation. I can see the new clitoris but I am in too much pain to learn whether it is fine or not. Maybe I will post again. If you need more info google www.clitoraid.org and talk to a lady called Nadine Gary. Even if it ends up cosmetic.......which I doubt........it is good to have it all the same. Many of us get orgasms but feel the shame of admitting that such a vital part of our femininity was cut for no justifiable reason. That is why we got ours back......to be complete again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for that comment.
    I also hope that next week you will be well. I would love to have you post again to let us know how you are progressing.
    Also thanks to your link to clitoraid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Hi I hoped to possibly email you about some questions that I Have in regards to FGM but can't seem to find your email address, how could I get in contact? Look forward to hearing from you

    kindest regards,

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you go to my profile it gives my email. But here it is as well:
    lud.allen@health.sa.gov.au

    Looking forward to hearing from you

    ReplyDelete
  10. At what age are girls circumcised?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Daniel,
    Generally from age 10 and above. You could go to the WHO webswww.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/ite to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Hi my name is sahra im from the uk i was born in manchester and was circumcised when i was young my family went back to Somalia for a holiday i was 10 and it was done to me and my sister i want to know if it is possible to have a clitoris reconstruction here in the UK i live in wales in Cardiff and i am married i do not feel pleasure during sex but i feel pleasure in other ways i want to know more so if u could help me my email is sarha_2008@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:47 PM

    Hi Lud, you said, "For instance anecdotaly many women that have had female circumcision also report satisfying sex lives with orgasm"
    Very true, you are the only one I have heard accept this fact.I fall under this category,and I am very comfortable with myself, but I would like to "look" uncut,for obvious reasons.
    Would you think any plastic surgeon is able to restore the appearance? may be it ll make it easy for most women.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HHmm: I have spoken to surgeons that say they can do such work but it is very invasive and the look will still be different. Also may increase scaring and change your ability feel the pleasure that you do feel. If any of the clitoris has been removed this will not be able to be replaced. So... I am unsure myself but I am not a medical person or surgeon.

    Have you spoken to any surgeons about this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Hi I am also african I was circumcised when I was 3 days old my mom said and I just recently has my libia.and clitorus reconstruction on wednesday the 18 2012. is so painful but I think is worth it I can see my clitorus know of course and hopefully I will be able to have sexual pleasure wich I never had in my 2ties. If you need any infomation email m

    ReplyDelete